Labuan Bajo, A Small Town with Magnification Views
Labuan Bajo is a small town with magnification views. It is located on the western tip of Flores island, Indonesia. The town is under the administration of the West Manggarai Regency.
According to the record of civil registration in 2010, Labuan Bajo has a population of 5.774. Most of the population are farmers and some part is in tourism and fishermen.
Labuan Bajo is also a center of business and tourism in West Manggarai, Indonesia. Hotels, restaurants, shopping centers, and tourist information centers are spread around the town. Tourism development has increased local income. The town is the main gateway to start a Komodo island boat tour.
How to Get to Labuan Bajo?
Labuan Bajo is accessible by air, sea, and land transportation. However, the best way to get to the town is by flight or sea transportation. The following are some of the best-recommended ways to get to Labuan Bajo:
- Flight from Denpasar, Bali. A flight from Denpasar to Labuan Bajo airport will take approximately 1 1/2 hours. Airplanes frequently depart from Denpasar, Bali. you can choose to depart in the morning, mid-day, or afternoon.
- Ferry from Sape, West Nusa Tenggara, Indonesia. The ferries from Sape offer a daily departure, it takes 6 to 7 hours to get there.
- Join a boat trip from Lombok. This boat trip will take 4 days and 3 nights from Lombok to Komodo and then it will end in Labuan Bajo.
- Airplane from Jakarta. The airplane from Jakarta will spend approximately 2 1/2 hours to get there.
What to Experience in Labuan Bajo?
Labuan Bajo is one famous Indonesian tourist destination. It is the main gateway to starting a Komodo National Park boat trip. Boat tours to Komodo are operating as a daily departure from this small town. Besides that, There are also a few interesting places to visit around the town.
Beautiful landscapes are dominant attractions around the town. There are few hills where to spend sunrise and sunset. Besides that, there are also waterfalls, caves, and the beautiful culture and traditions of its population.
The following are things to experience:
- Visit Cunca Wulang Canyon and the waterfall. Cunca Wulang is one of the few waterfalls where to spend your day. It is located on the east side of the town. Trek through the tropical forest to the waterfall and enjoy a swim and jump in the canyon.
- Expereience local culture and tradition at Kampung Melo. Visit Melo village and experience the traditional dance Rangkuk Alu and stick fighting called Caci.
- Visit Goa Rangko Cave on the north side of Labuan Bajo. This is one of the recommended places to visit, you will enjoy swimming in the natural pool inside the cave. Take a half-day Goa Rangko Cave tour for a complete arrangement.
- Enjoy the sunset at Bukit Sylvia or Sylvia hill. Bukit Sylvia is one of the best places to spot sunset. It is located about 10 minute drive from Labuan Bajo.
- Visist Goa Batu Cermin. This place is located about 15 minutes to the east of the town.
- Join a Komodo island boat trip. Day tour or a Liveaboard tour package. You can also join a day trip dive to Komodo National Park.
The best time to visit is from April to September. This will be a dry season in Indonesia. However, you can also visit the town during the rainy season in October, November, December, and March. The rain in January and February will coming heavy, so it is not really recommended.